Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Vegan Oatmeal Cookies with Nuts and Chocolate Chip

Working from my favorite cookbook, Bittman's Vegetarian cooking, I decided to try a vegan version of the classic oatmeal raisin cookie. Truth be told, I had a chocolate craving and we had nothing sweet in the house...What's a girl to do? This was even easier than a traditional recipe because you don't have to whip the butter or soften it. You substitute any kind of neutral oil, canola, corn for the butter and apple sauce for the eggs. I used rice milk instead of cow milk which I prefer anyway. I added chocolate chips and walnuts to give it a different twist and the result was terrific. The whole process took about ten minutes to prep and another 15 in the oven. Next time I will freeze half the dough since we now have about twice as many cookies as come with any trader joes bag. As an added bonus, our whole house smelled like a bakery on a rainy day. Very cozy!

No comments:

Post a Comment